Date(s) - 10/02/2021 - 10/03/2021
9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Various parks/open spaces
Categories No Categories
The Blue Ridge Center for Environmental Stewardship has planned some amazing activities for Loudoun Nature Days!!
Celebrate fall and the great outdoors with a trip to the Blue Ridge Center! We are offering several guided and self-guided activities the weekend of October 2-3 as part of Loudoun Nature Days county-wide event.
Saturday, Oct. 2nd @ 9am to 10:30 am – Pollinator Garden Party Stop by the Pollinator Garden (located next to main parking lot) to meet our garden team and ask questions you may have about gardening with native plants.
Saturday, Oct. 2nd @ 10:30am to 12 noon – Family Nature Hike Join us for a family friendly hike around the Center to see what lives and grows in this diverse habitat. We’ll focus on plants, especially trees, to celebrate the launch of Plant NOVA Trees five-year campaign. Meet at welcome kiosk (main parking lot).
Sunday, Oct. 3rd @ 10am to 1pm – Adult Hike Explore some of the less traveled parts of this 900-acre preserve and soak in the beauty and tranquility of this special place. Meet at welcome kiosk (main parking lot).
Sunday, Oct. 3rd @ 1:30pm to 2pm – Tour of Mountain View Farm Get to know Farmer Jim and learn about the rich history of this farm and how he raises and markets high-quality pastured broiler chickens in his first year of farming. Meet at the farm stand (on left side as you pull in driveway).
10 Fun Things to do at the Blue Ridge Center (open daily from dawn to dusk)
- Show your kids the wonders of nature with a pint-sized hike. From the welcome kiosk, follow the path past Wortman Pond to Farmstead Loop. Head south and you’ll come to a fun area with a bridge (half mile walk). From there you can head back or continue the loop.
- Want more of a challenge? Hike the Legacy Loop and soak in the remote and peaceful setting, with beautiful views of Gordon Pond. Dogs on a leash are welcome (please pick up their waste).
- Make a mud pie or build a fort out of sticks at our Nature Play Area. Stay for a picnic lunch or dinner!
- Take a walk through time with a self-guided history tour.
- Pick a peaceful spot and enjoy a book from our Little Free Nature Library.
- Stroll through the pollinator garden and search for insects, amphibians, reptiles, birds, and mammals.
- Start a nature journal. You can include tree rubbings, measurements, poetry, lists of animals or plants you observed, animal tracks (where are they going? who do they belong to?), and whatever else you’d like!
- Buy eggs or pastured whole broilers from Mountain View Farm.
- Go on a seasonal scavenger hunt (copies located at the welcome kiosk).
- Be a citizen scientist! Snap photos of interesting plants, animals, insects, or fungi and submit to the Blue Ridge Center’s iNaturalist project.
Share your adventures on social media! @blueridgecenter and @brces_va
GET OUTSIDE and enjoy other Loudoun Parks and Trails – learn more: